- 2 pieces bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 8 ounces ground veal
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded (2 1/3 cups)
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cook bacon in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, until crispy and fat renders, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel lined plate, reserving renderings in the skillet. Cook the onions and garlic in the pan drippings until brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk the eggs, mustard, hot sauce, Worcestershire, cream, salt, and pepper. Add the meat, cheese, parsley, and cooked onion. Chop and add the bacon. Mix with a fork until evenly blended. Whisk the glaze ingredients together in a bowl.Dampen hands with water and on a foil-lined cookie sheet, pat mixture into a loaf shape. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf registers 155 degrees F, about 1 hour. Spread the glaze onto the meatloaf after about 50 minutes.